Training a Puppy - How I Did It



Ah, house training your dog. Do not you just love the idea? If you've ever had to go through this experience, then you know how it can be a challenge. That's what I've discovered a few years ago when I got one of my first puppies. Since then, I have had several pets, and I have tried various methods of house training a puppy. Some of these puppy training techniques are very good, but many are not. But nothing beats the method I used in this small border collie named Lassie I (Yes, I know, not very original !)
It is interesting that only after I trained Lassie that I discovered that it is actually the official name for the method I used. I called the puppy crate training method. Crate training is related to housing your pet in a small crate or indoor kennel, and her posture there when she is not out for walks with you, or when not under supervision, while active in your home. And that's exactly what I did with Lassie.
As an animal lover, I knew that dogs have this instinct that causes them to dislike going to the bathroom in space where they normally eat or sleep. So I bought a crate from a pet store, Lassie, and introduced to their new home. And that's where Lassie spent part of his first month with me. I knew that because she had spent most of his time in his "sleeping quarter," it will, of course, wait until it was put out before relieving itself. And that's exactly what happened.
Now, does not mean that I was kept locked all day. That would be abuse. Not only do I do if I have it shut down at regular intervals, but also went for a walk together outside, and played with his toys in the house (under strict supervision, so it did not relieve itself in the house).
One of the hardest parts of the whole process was consistent. Personally, I like seeing her locked in a crate for large parts of the day. I got her to be a companion and hang around the house with me. But I also realized that if I was determined to potty train her, then it would be very strained relationship over the years ahead. This is no different than disiplined be consistent enough to potty train a child. You've got to get on to the welfare of the child and his family is a part.
Fortunately, Lassie is a fast learner, and I coached her within a month. During that month, as Lassie grew older, I began to reduce the amount of time spent in the crate. After that month, the crate door is always open, and she went in and out like happy, always go to the door of the house when you need to go.
After a few years ago that was a great friend, Lassie developed the disease and had to put down. But I'll always remember her as one of the best dogs I have ever had, and the first that I learned how to properly house train.


Category Article , , , , ,

What's on Your Mind...